Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What is a "real" man?

My friend Celeste just blogged about how her husband just finished reading Twilight and how he was getting in trouble with the "husbands." Well, Allen just finished reading the book as well. He wanted to see the movie with me and thought he should read the book first. I personally think that is very sweet and a nice thing for a husband to do. But, you would not believe the amount of harassment Allen has taken over reading this book. He has been told he's losing his manhood and numerous other "manhood" comments. He even had one co-worker say to him "when you're done reading, drop by my desk and pick up a man-card." (whatever the heck that means). This has compelled me to write a little bit in defense of my wonderful husband. I think it takes a "real" man to admit he's read the book and that he liked it. I think the men that give him harassment are only insecure about their "manhood". Allen does many things that make him a "real" man in my opinion. He encourages me to go play softball or volleyball while he stays home with the kids. He's going to take Hannah to "The Nutcracker" ballet over Thanksgiving when all the other men are home watching football. He doesn't care that I bought Tate a baby doll for his birthday. He was up in the middle of the night with all three children, feeding, changing or anything else I needed. That's what I call a "real" man. He's the world's best dad and husband and I'm a lucky woman to have him. Thank you Allen, for reading Twilight and not being ashamed to admit it and for all those other things that make you a "real" man!

8 comments:

Celeste said...

Nice work, Alan. I think you sound very balanced.

linnellbelle said...

Amen. Your post sums up everything that makes a great husband. Who would want to be married to anyone who wasn't a "real" man? Way to be, Alan!

Jennie said...

Josh got the same reaction when we bought our sons a kitchen last Christmas. Ridiculous. This isn't 1950--boys (and girls) should be able to live balanced, healthy lives.

Allen Archibald said...

Ok. I give.... you can buy the SUV you've been asking me about.

Just kidding. Thanks Shan. I appreciate the kind comments.

Melony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melony said...

I am embarrassed to say, my husband is the one who made the man card comment...he was just giving him crap cuz he can. But you are right, those things you mentioned make him a real man. I know without any doubt that I am lucky that my husband does the same things that Allen does for you, for me and I am so grateful. I know that my Mom didn't have the same opportunities for escape and solitude that our husbands provide us....Way to go Allen! I haven't even read the books but I do wish that Shad would read something..anything really! That is so cool that you got Tate a baby! I wish I could buy some of my girls a train but they wouldn't appreciate it! :)

sara said...

That was really sweet Shannon! I think you got a great man too!!! By the way...I saw Twilight again on Monday night with Jes's sisters and I've changed my mind about Edward. That guy does a good job playing him!!!! I'll tell you about it at Christmas, which will probably be the next time I see you!

Ryan said...

Nice. Perhaps that's why Ryan and Allen get along so well. He's a real man, too. He's the only "man" blogger I know and he's so good at it. Here's to our wonderful "real men" husbands. Good luck with shopping tomorrow. Hayley

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!