Thursday, November 13, 2008

I Love the 80's!

As some of you may already know, my 33rd birthday is coming up this Saturday. Allen is "surprising" me with a mixed tape of my favorite songs from the 80's. For those of you that grew up in the 80's like myself, I'm sure you'll agree that the 80's produced some of the best music of all time. In order to get my absolute favorite songs on the mixed tape, Allen brought home a list of Billboards top 700 songs of the 80's for me to choose from. I only get 16 songs on my mixed tape, so it's been a hard decision, with a long process of narrowing down the list. Well, my list is finally complete, and I thought it would be fun to share with you. I really enjoyed finding out your favorite movie quotes, so please share with me your favorite 80's songs as well. My list is as follows in no particular order:

America - Neil Diamond
The Search is Over - Survivor
Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
Sunglasses at Night - Corey Hart
Heaven - Bryan Adams
Angel - Aerosmith
867-5309 - Tommy Tutone
Missing You - John Waite
Never Surrender - Corey Hart (I loved Corey Hart when I was 13)
Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield
When Doves Cry - Prince
Straight From the Heart - Bryan Adams
Don't Know What You Got (Til It's Gone) - Cinderella
The Flame - Cheap Trick
When I See You Smile - Bad English
Love is a Battlefield - Pat Benatar

Honorable Mentions: I loved these songs as well, but in good conscience couldn't put them on my mixed tape.

Blame it on the Rain - Milli Vanilli
Lost in Your Eyes - Debbie Gibson
We Are the World - USA for Africa

I wish my mixed tape would hold all 700 songs, but it won't. They just don't make songs like this anymore.

12 comments:

Greg said...

Make him get you a new iPod Shuffle -- that should hold all 700.

Hayley said...

One notable exception:

So Alive - Love and Rockets

Do you still have that single? I still can't believe you actually bought that. Classic.

Ryan

Allen Archibald said...

My notables….

Falco - Rock Me Amadeus
Martika - Toy Soldiers
Aha - Take On Me

Kady said...

Allen's got some solid picks there. At least Debbie Gibson got and honorable mention, but seriously - no Tiffany? The Bangles? Belinda Carlisle? You were apparently much more of a rocker than I would have assumed.

Melony said...

You are missing a HUGE one...I love it so much and really have no idea why but - Icehouse, Electric Blue. Youtube it if you don't remember. And No WHAM!???

joyce said...

I LOVE "Come on Irene" (forgot who sings it). I also love "When Doves Cry" by Prince. I used to get teased for loving that song so much. I remember when the video was on The Solid Gold Dancers--did you ever watch that show? My mom said it was a nasty show, but I liked it anyway...

The Ormsby's said...

Awesome list!! I agree with Greg, Allen needs to get you the new iPod to hold all 700. That would be perfect. As for my favorite 80's, I'm always a fan of the power ballads, but being the youngster that I am, I'm more of a 90's fan. :)

Jennie said...

I'm just happy to see Cheap Trick made the cut.

sara said...

You know my family...no 80's song list could be complete without some Poison, Motley Crue, Guns n' roses, and Bon Jovi - come on...thoses are the classics!

David might be mad at me for divulging this online, but he used to sing "Welcome to the Jungle" in church instead of "Welcome, Welcome Sabbath Morning"!

Celeste said...

I was in love with the guitarist from Poison, C.C. DeVille in 6th grade. They were sooo amazing! Nice list- with one MAJOR exception... Neil Diamond??? Oh, Come ON!! That should only maybe be included on your parents 80's list- not you as a kid. We need to talk...

Carly said...

...and Sara's comment makes me proud I married an Allred....

Melissa said...

Hi, Shannon!
I hope you don't mind that I peeked at your blog. It's way cute. I love seeing what my old friends are up to. Your family is adorable and your children are beautiful. You should be very proud. Keep in touch okay?

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!