Monday, September 15, 2008

Did we really go to the fair again?

It's that time of the year again. It's the one Saturday of the year that we pull out the halter tops and the oversized belt buckles and make our way to the Utah State Fair. I'm not sure what it is that compels us to keep attending the fair year after year. Maybe it's the redneck in us or that little bit of white trash that we just can't seem to let go of, but whatever it is, I continue to find myself at the fair year in and year out. Let's face it, where else can you blow $75 in two hours on mechanical bull riding, pony rides, the big yellow slide, very unsafe carnival rides (don't even get me started on carnival workers, "carnies" as we call them), the chance to see a 5000 pound steer, and the world's junkiest souveniers. Every year as I bake in the hot sun as we walk through the pig arena, trying not to lose my lunch, I wonder why I keep putting myself through this torture. Yet somehow, as we are driving home and discussing the days events, we realize we've had a great time together and we just can't wait for next year's fair. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something great about the state fair.


3 comments:

Allen Archibald said...

You have the cutest kids in the entire world.

Hayley said...

You are one adventurous family and if that means to be a tiny bit redneck then I say go for it. But just for the record, you aren't rednecks compared to my brothers - believe you me. :)

linnellbelle said...

Hey you bunch of rednecks. I want to see Alan in his oversize belt buckle. And of course you all in your halter tops. Nice.

Thanks for holding Daniel and giving my back a BREAK on Sunday! Can you believe my little guy? What a spectacle. Now you understand why I am in mourning over the binky rejection. Sad.

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!