Monday, August 18, 2008

Our Last Summer Hurrah!

We just got home from one of the funnest and greatest vacations we've ever been on. We were able to visit Allen's parents on their mission in Oakland, CA. They serve at the Oakland Temple Visitor's Center and it is so beautiful there. We were able to stay with them in their mission apartment and it was so good to see them again. We did lots of great things including Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, Golden Gate Bridge, the zoo, the redwoods, and many other things. But our most favorite thing about this vacation was being in the Visitor's Center with Allen's parents and feeling the amazing spirit that is present there. They currently have a display of some amazing statues that were sculpted to depict the miracles of Jesus Christ and they are so beautiful. We were able to visit with the sister missionaries that serve in the Center and the kids had a lot of fun with the elders. Most of all though, it was such a testimony builder to see all of the people there that are willing to give up so much to serve the Lord. What an amazing place!
Our family on the temple terrace of the Oakland Temple. They have this wonderful terrace that goes around the temple that you can walk around and the views from the top are incredible. You can see the ocean and all the way to San Francisco.
The kids having a ball in the Pacific Ocean. When we flew home, we had to fly over the ocean during takeoff and it was so hard to leave the ocean behind.
This is a picture of the kids posing with the sourdough bread guy at Boudin's bakery on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. They have the most amazing sourdough bread and they create these cool things with dough, like these scissors. We had to eat there twice because Hannah had her first taste of clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl and fell in love with it and had to have it again.
Our little family on the pier in San Francisco with Alcatraz in the background. We spent one whole day on the pier and had such a great time that we drove back another day and spent some more time.

5 comments:

Dreamer said...

Oh,jealous, me! that is where I took out my endowments before my mission. I lived in Stockton, Ca which is about 60 miles eAST OF oAKLAND. I love THAT TEMPLE! I long for that place sometimes.

Dreamer said...

yes, yes, me again. Did I mention I miss that place. Those are all the things we used to do when I was a kid. The red woods, the beach, San Fran, I LOVE the terrace around the tample. The first time I did baptisms for the dead when I was a youth that is one of the first things I remember, the terrace and the incredlble view. It was night and the city was a flame with lights. Plus the spirit that was there. Oh, I feel so nastalgic. Sorry. Jay and I also went to San Fran for our honemoon, more great memories of walking across the golden gate and haning out at fisherman warf and eatind clam chowder in bread bowls and seeing alkatraz. ok, you can have your blog back now. Just wanted to let you know how jealous I am!

Kady said...

Super fun! That temple is beautiful and the views are incredible. The chowder on the pier is also one of our favorites! Mmmm

Celeste said...

Sounds wonderful! I'm glad that Bro & Sis Archibald are enjoying their mission, too. Tell them we miss them, but are glad to have you in their place for a while, too! They are a great couple!

linnellbelle said...

What fun!! It looks like you had a really great time! It's awesome to feel the mission spirit for you and your kids, isn't it?

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!