Friday, October 31, 2008

What a Night!

Yesterday was Allen's birthday and we celebrated a nice evening together with the kids. He chose pizza and chicken wings from Domino's for dinner and ice cream for dessert. He wrestled with the kids and we watched our favorite videos on YouTube. He said it was a great birthday, until all h-e double hockey sticks broke loose. The kids were in bed, so Allen and I decided to read a little in the D&C, when out of nowhere, Allen jumps out of his chair, practically throwing his scriptures in the air. He said he saw something run across the floor to the side of him, like a big spider. We checked under the other chairs and saw nothing. I thought he was up in the night. Then we decided to look under the couch. Allen lifted the couch and I did the looking. Well, I could see something gray under the couch, but I thought it could be a toy. So I lifted the couch the next time and had Allen look. As I was lifting, he screamed MOUSE, and I dropped the couch and jumped up on the table. We did indeed have a little mouse hiding under our couch. Allen had seen something scurry across the floor and my worst nightmare was now coming true. The little guy didn't seem to want to move from under the couch, so we got into full battle mode. This included calling our hunter neighbor Dax in for reinforcements, grabbing buckets, and a long stick. Dax came over with his air soft pistol and the next thirty minutes consisted of the mouse running from one spot to another in our family room with us screaming and chasing him. His final chase came when he scurried across the kitchen floor with Allen trying to squash him with a stick and Dax shooting him with an air soft gun. He made it safely into the small crevice leading into our dishwasher. That's when we knew the chase had ended. He made it to safety, nestled somewhere inside my dishwasher or the inside of my cupboards. Dax set some peanut butter traps for us and left us alone with the mouse. We blocked off the kitchen with the coffee table and tried to resume our night. We attempted to take our mind off the mouse by watching The Office, but it didn't seem to be all that funny last night. We then tried to go to bed, but neither of us slept very well. We kept dreaming about mice and I was dreading fixing breakfast in that death trap of a kitchen. In the morning, Allen went to check our traps and he then told me the best news of my life. We had caught the mouse in one of Dax's peanut butter traps. He took the bait and was now paying the price for terrorizing us all night. I think I owe Dax a batch of peanut butter cookies. I'm glad our adventure is over for now and I'm sure Allen had a birthday he'll never forget!

7 comments:

Ryan said...

Classic story. We have been there. We know the terror of a peaceful night interrupted by elusive creatures. Funny thing about mice: how can they be (almost) cute in a cage but horrific running wild around the house? Anyway, if you need to commiserate mouse stories, let us know!

Allen Archibald said...

Hell of a night!

The Ormsby's said...

What a fun birthday present. We had a similar experience but with a squirrel, and instead of an air gun, the boys used a rock sling shot. Oh the horror!!

Carly said...

Haha! I don't know...the visuals of your story are pretty good!

Melony said...

That is just funny. I can just picture you standing on the table..Glad Allen had a birthday to remember! And glad you caught the uninvited guest.

Kady said...

That same night I was chasing a lizard out of my house! If I had my choice though, I think I'd take the lizard. I couldn't have handled a mouse on my own.

Dreamer said...

EEWW! That's almost as bad as spiders, almost. I'm so glad you got the little buggar. I can not sit on the couch in the basemnet after dark because huge spiders have come from behind onto me more than once and everytime I try it I get the heeby jeebies. I hate creepy crawlies.

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!